Do you know your team can be the winner of the 2024 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation challenge?
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation is open for ambitious and talented sub-Saharan African engineers from all engineering fields to demonstrate innovative and engineering entrepreneurship skills.
Over the years, the Royal Academy of Engineering, through the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation program, has helped ambitious African innovators develop scalable engineering solutions to local challenges, demonstrating the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development.
This post provides detailed information about the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa 2024 and how you can become a winner.
About the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation aims to stimulate and reward engineering entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa.
The Africa Prize will encourage ambitious and talented sub-Saharan African engineers from all disciplines to apply their skills to develop scalable solutions to local challenges, highlighting the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development.
What is the Worth of this Africa Prize?
After this mentorship period, they will invite finalists to attend the African event. A winner will be selected to receive £25,000 along with runners-up, who will each be awarded £10,000.
Number of Awardees:
The number of awardees for the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation is not specified.
Duration of Program
Crucial commercialization support is awarded to a shortlist of innovative applicants through six months of training and mentoring.
What is the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation Eligibility?
To be eligible,
- Applicants must be individuals or groups of no more than three people.
- Applicants must be citizens of a country within sub-Saharan Africa currently residing there. For teams of two or three, the lead applicant must be a citizen of a country within sub-Saharan Africa and currently live there.
- Applicants must have an engineering innovation and provide a letter of support from a university or research institution.
- Industrial researchers and establishments are not eligible.
- The applicant’s innovation can be any new product, technology, or service based on research in engineering defined in its broadest sense to encompass a wide range of fields, including agricultural technology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, design engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, ICT, materials science, mechanical engineering, and medical engineering.
- Applicants should have achieved the development of or be in the early stages of commercializing an engineering innovation that:
- Will bring social and/or environmental benefits to country/countries in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Has the strong potential to be replicated and scaled up;
- An ambitious but realistic business plan with strong commercial viability accompanies it.
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation can be taken under any engineering field.
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation can be taken in Sub-Saharan Africa. And it is hosted by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Countries within Sub-Saharan Africa. For the competition, sub-Saharan countries include:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
How Can I Apply?
Application is through the online grants system. Applicants should ensure they read the guidance notes before submitting their application.
Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation Application Deadline
Application for 2024 is closed, but Applications for the Africa Prize 2024 is on and will close on Tuesday, 25 July 2024, at 4.00 pm BST.
The Royal Academy of Engineering has opened applications for the 2024 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation as the program approaches its 10th anniversary. The Africa Prize supports ambitious entrepreneurs and innovators developing local and scalable solutions to everyday challenges on the continent.
With a sizable cash endowment, the Draper Prize has become one of the world’s most prestigious awards for engineering, and its presentation is considered a valuable tool for improving the public’s understanding of engineering and technology.
Norah Magero won the 2024 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation with a portable, solar-powered fridge to store and transport medicines.
#Africa #Prize #Engineering #Innovation #SubSaharan #Africa