Have you heard of the best learning apps for kids in 2024? You can use these kids’ learning apps to help your children or students learn new things. With the apps, they can learn fun, engaging, and highly effective stuff.
As a parent, you want to give your child every opportunity to succeed. Providing your child with educational opportunities is one way to help them succeed. The best learning app teaches younger children core subjects such as reading, writing, and math.
It can be difficult to keep kids entertained at times. Today’s kids spend a significant portion of their days on tablets, phones, and other electronic devices. Using screen time to supplement their education can be beneficial and enjoyable.
Are you wondering what kids’ learning apps would best suit your kids? This article contains the ten best learning apps for kids in 2024.
You would also learn what a learning app for kids entails and why you should use one. Let’s get started.
What are Learning Apps for Kids
The term “learning app” refers to academic online applications. These applications rely on an internet connection. You can use a smartphone to access an online learning app.
It is a technologically-based study tool that allows for the sharing of information. It is commonly referred to as mobile learning app.
For students who do not have access to a physical classroom, the kid’s learning app is an excellent learning tool. The best learning apps teach kids things the school would not teach.
Some of them are to reinforce what they teach your child in school. Overall, the best learning apps for kids improve your kids academically.
You Should Check Out: 15 Best Free Font Apps For iPhone | 2024
Why Use the Best Learning Apps for Kids?
1. For engagement and motivation
There is no denying that kid’s learning apps are popular among children. They are both stimulating and entertaining.
While teachers may struggle to get kids’ attention in class, they rarely have trouble motivating kids to use a computer. Kids may become interested in a particular subject due to an app.
Using kid’s learning apps can help students become more interested in subjects they might otherwise ignore.
2. Planning for the future
Computers would soon be a requirement in almost every profession. Using educational apps helps children become more comfortable with technology.
Many skills are required to use apps to perform daily tasks and certain job functions. Using the best learning apps for your kids gets them a step closer to planning for the future.
3. Individualized Education
It’s no secret that children learn in a variety of ways. Some people learn more visually, while others rely on auditory cues or other senses.
Kids’ learning apps can appeal to a wide range of students. Furthermore, rather than having to keep up with the teacher’s pace of instruction, children can work at their own pace.
4. It removes learning barriers
Technology may provide children with disabilities with opportunities to learn. It would open them to what they would not have had in a traditional classroom setting.
Some apps help dyslexic children read and autistic children develop social skills. Individual progress is critical for students who are constantly judged.
5. Helping with academic performance
Using the best learning apps for kids helps them to learn. For example, education researcher Maya Lopuch discovered that students in middle school who used various iPad apps as part of their learning curriculum performed better on a national assessment.
What are the Disadvantages of Using the Best Learning Apps for Kids?
1. Emotional and attention development
The use of technology is affecting children’s ability to focus and may have an impact on emotional development.
If children do not learn to pay attention in school, they will not develop the necessary self-control and empathy for others. The ability to pay attention is a strong predictor of future success.
The best learning apps for kids allow for distraction from other lessons. Many students are savvy computer users who find ways to surf the web or play unrelated games.
The thought of the best learning apps for kids can distract them.
Overstimulation from excessive screen time causes emotion dysregulation and a reduction in sleep.
Although a child’s optimal screen time is debatable, educational technology can only contribute to increased stimulation.
4. It undervalues social interaction
The majority of educational apps are for individual use. Instead of interacting with a peer or teacher, children become absorbed in computer activities.
The lack of in-person communication appears to be growing among younger generations. The kid’s learning apps can have a way of affecting and making it worse.
Related Article: How to Delete Apps on Chromebook | Simple Step-by-Step Guide
Are the Best Learning Apps for Kids Worth it?
The use of education apps in schools is a two-edged sword. There are numerous benefits, but there are also numerous drawbacks.
The one undeniable fact is that educational technology is here to stay. Schools must learn how to integrate education apps into their classrooms efficiently. They should do this without oversaturating the classroom environment.
Furthermore, children must learn how to use technology responsibly. This includes establishing usage limits and enforcing privacy safeguards.
The kid’s learning apps can improve current issues with further research and development. Apps, in particular, can increase rather than decrease social interaction.
Kids learning apps, when used responsibly, can be a powerful tool for improving our youth’s education.
What should I Consider when Choosing Best Learning Apps for Kids
When choosing the best learning apps for kids, there are several factors to consider. Here are some key considerations:
- Age Appropriateness: The app should be age-appropriate and match the child’s cognitive development.
- Educational Value: The app should provide educational value to the child, such as developing their language, cognitive, and social skills.
- Interactivity: The app should be interactive and engaging, with features like quizzes, puzzles, and games that motivate the child to learn.
- User Interface: The app should have a simple and intuitive user interface that is easy for the child to navigate.
- Safety and Privacy: The app should be safe for the child to use and not collect personal information without parental consent.
- Reviews and Ratings: Check reviews and ratings of the app from other parents to gauge the effectiveness and safety of the app.
- Cost: Consider the cost of the app, whether it’s free or paid, and whether it provides value for money.
- Advertisements: Check for any advertisements within the app and whether they are age-appropriate and safe for kids.
Considering these factors, you can choose the best learning app for your child that is both educational and enjoyable.
10 Best Learning Apps for Kids in 2023
The basic idea behind educational apps for kids is to make learning more interesting and enjoyable.
It allows them to discover new things. Kids’ learning apps are beneficial not only to children.
They also benefit parents who want to engage their children with the best educational apps.
The best learning apps for kids in 2024 are:
- 1. HOMER Learning
- 2. codeSpark
- 3. ABCmouse
- 4. Epic!
- 5. Starfall
- 6. Duolingo
- 7. Hopscotch
- 8. DragonBox Math
- 9. ClassDojo
- 10. Khan Academy Kids
See Also: 13 Best Sony Smart TV Apps 2024 | Best Reviews
#1. HOMER Learning
Homer is a personalized learning app to help children fall in love with learning. Over 1,000 learning activities are available across all subjects. It has content tailored to your child’s age and interests. The best learning apps are a good fit for any eager child looking to learn something new.
- HOMER is an early learning software program designed to assist children in developing critical thinking skills.
- It assists them in developing future confidence by guiding them on their personalized educational journey.
- It includes a variety of interactive lessons, stories, and activities tailored to each student’s unique abilities, age, and interests.
- The app keeps your child’s attention and ensures their screen time is productive.
- The lessons are fun.
- It has personalization features, distinguishing it from other kids learning apps.
- There is a wide variety of educational games and stories available.
- Excellent for early childhood education.
- It teaches creativity, critical thinking, and social skills.
- Fun learning activities for subjects such as math, reading, creativity, and critical thinking.
- The library contains a wide range of genres.
- Stories, games, lessons, and songs are highly interactive and engaging for children.
- The app suits children; they can easily touch, hold, or drag objects with a single tap.
- No-hassle app with no advertisements.
- Parents can access resources such as printables, videos, and expert advice.
- It emphasizes alphabets and phonetics primarily.
- The app gives little attention to comprehension
The pricing for HOMER’s three plans is as follows:
- Monthly Subscription: $12.99 per month (starting May 17, 2024)
- Annual Subscription: $59.99 per year
- Annual Digital Plan + Hands-On Bundle: $99.99
- HOMER provides a 30-day free trial with full access.
Do you want your children to be ready for the world of tomorrow? Do you want them to improve their problem-solving abilities? codeSpark is a fun, engaging coding app that teaches kids basic problem-solving. It is one of the best kids learning apps out there. It would teach them critical thinking, creativity, and other valuable skills.
- codeSpark is a popular coding app for kids with exciting games and challenges.
- It is to teach children basic coding skills in a fun way that they don’t even realize they’re learning.
- Kids can learn to code using an intuitive, word-free interface before they know how to read.
- The app is also intended to appeal to both girls and boys to close the STEM gender gap.
- After 90 minutes of coding with codeSpark Academy, 55% felt more confident in their problem-solving abilities.
- Teaches children to code before they can read (ideal for younger children!)
- Improves problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.
- Coding challenges abound.
- It makes learning more enjoyable by engaging in games and activities.
- A plethora of creative activities
- Excellent for students aged 5 and up.
- Teaches important coding skills that will prepare children for the world of tomorrow.
- You would have to compensate for the lack of in-game help
- The coding problems may become too challenging for kids
- Begin with a 7-day free trial. The codeSpark pricing is $79.99 per year ($6.67 per month) or $9.99 monthly.
See Also: 10 Best Free Coding Apps For Children In 2024
ABCmouse is a popular learning app for children aged 2 to 8. It includes educational games, books, puzzles, and other activities to help kids learn in a fun and effective way.
ABCmouse is one of the best learning apps for kids. It helps younger children ages 2 to 8 learn and master everything from letter recognition to reading and math.
- The curriculum includes story videos, puzzles, engaging activities, and songs.
- It also includes math, science, art, and reading.
- Parents can always change the level of learning to ensure that their child is not playing with the same skills.
- ABCmouse includes a fun bonus that your children will enjoy. They will receive a ticket reward for each completed lesson. They can use the ticket to decorate their virtual classroom.
- There is also a child-friendly environment at ABC Mouse. You don’t have to worry about pop-ups or advertisements leading to dangerous content.
- Designed for children aged two to eight years (preschool and elementary school kids)
- Education experts plan the curriculum.
- Provides instruction in a variety of subjects.
- Personalized learning path to keep children interested
- Educational games and activities that are enjoyable
- Various learning programs for different skill levels
- With COPPA verification, it is safe to use.
- Provides free tickets to children upon completion of the lesson Assessment centre. You can use this to monitor the child’s progress.
- Per account, you can register up to three children.
- App and website versions are available.
- 30-day risk-free trial
- There is repetition within levels. This may get your child bored
- After the first 30 days, you would have to pay a recurring monthly subscription cost
ABCmouse charges the following fees:
- Monthly fee of $12.99
- Long-Term: $29.99 every six months
- The annual cost is $59.99. (up to 60 per cent off the regular price)
Do you want your children to enjoy reading? Epic has an extensive library of over 40,000 books. It helps children progress in their reading by making it fun and exciting.
This fantastic kids learning app contains over 40,000 books, audiobooks, and videos. You can access it through various devices such as computers, laptops, mobile phones, and others.
- It is an excellent platform for encouraging children to engage in interactive reading.
- Epic’s user-friendliness and ease of use will astound you. Kids can sort the library using refined search options such as age, reading level, interests, etc.
- Those interested in learning a second language can also look for multilingual content. These options instil a sense of personalization in your children. It would also turn them into avid readers.
- Thanks to Epic’s downloading feature, the portability problem is no longer an issue. The badges given to readers motivate them, making them want to read and accomplish more.
- Parents can track their children’s progress and learn how far their reading interest has developed.
- Contains over 40,000 books.
- Designed for children aged two to twelve.
- Excellent for both school and home use.
- Options for simple navigation
- Reading rewards such as badges and awards
- Offline access with a download option
- Collaboration with numerous prestigious academic platforms
- Supports most Android and Apple devices.
- You can create accounts for up to four people.
- It can be challenging to get in at times
- If kids feel pressured when tracked, it will take them a long time to read
- There is a limit to the assessment tools
- The app cant search by age
EPIC offers two paid plans:
- Monthly payment of $7.99
- Annual prepayment of $71.99
Starfall is a digital learning app that teaches children letters, words, and sounds. It is one of the best learning apps for kids.
The free version of this app is quite impressive, providing access to various useful resources! The paid version, on the other hand, includes premium access to the arts curriculum. It assists children in mastering math and social science skills.
- Starfall knows how to make the most of your children’s screen time. It does this by helping them memorize to have fun while learning.
- This app employs a fantasy-based approach to learning to pique children’s interest in learning more.
- Children form bonds with the Starfall characters in their virtual classroom through games, stories, and songs.
- These activities are on the same concept, and each level introduces a new challenge and excitement.
- Parents can track the progress of their children at the same time.
- The teaching method used by Starfall hinges on the development of phonemic recognition. It also covers systematic phonics, words, communication, and comprehension.
- The website’s entertaining graphics and vibrant colours ensure that children remain engaged. They would also learn how to navigate the site easily.
- Designed for children aged 2 to 5 years.
- Provides an interactive learning program
- Aids in language learning abilities
- The content is simple to sort through.
- Ideal for use at home or in the classroom
- Android and Apple devices are compatible.
- The android version freezes up
- Many of the activities require mouse skills. As such, the kids may need help.
- This version includes only a few modules.
- To access the full content, you require an in-app purchase.
- Users can use Starfall for free. You can upgrade to a one-year membership for $35 per year to gain access to premium features.
Related Article: 10 Free Bisexual Dating Apps in 2024
Are you thinking about teaching your child a new language? It may appear to be a daunting task at first.
Introducing online kids learning apps such as Duolingo has made it more accessible. It is one of the most popular free language learning apps.
It is ideal for children who have just begun speaking or may have a language deficiency.
- The app’s seamless learning approach can benefit all preschoolers and school-aged children.
- Duolingo includes over 34 languages! There are numerous other base languages, as well as subsequent language courses. Overall, it’s like a massive library!
- The best part is that Duolingo’s lesson plans are well-targeted and organized.
- Each course contains a set of modules that contain lessons for each level.
- The other module unlocks once you have completed a certain number of modules.
- To begin, children will take a placement test to determine their current level of understanding. The app will then create appropriate lessons based on the user’s skill set.
- The lessons are chronological, but students can return and revise any lesson at any time.
- Each lesson takes three to four minutes to complete. There are twenty-minute podcasts available to listen to and learn from native speakers.
- Enhances reading, writing, and speaking abilities; access to regular practice exercises.
- Capability to monitor daily progress
- The interface is sleek and straightforward to use.
- Its speech recognition software is still in its early stages.
- Keeping up with constantly deteriorating abilities can be discouraging.
- Some of the translations are questionable.
- If you’re serious about learning a language, Duolingo is NOT enough.
- Duolingo is free for everyone, but a paid plan for more advanced features exists.
- Duolingo Pro: Monthly fee of $12.99
We’ve all heard how difficult it is to learn to program. And when it comes to programming for children, it is certainly no easy task! Hopscotch’s excellent user interface makes coding far more accessible for children to learn. It hinges on open-ended learning to stimulate children’s logical thinking abilities.
- They are completely free to experiment with and personalize their program. They can also develop their projects.
- The animation and gaming options are excellent for keeping children engaged while they learn.
- Another appealing aspect of this app is its extensive selection of avatars.
- Children can interact with their peers and the Hopscotch community by sharing their programs.
- Excellent programming app for newcomers.
- Specifically designed for children aged 10 to 16 years
- Encourages intellectual thought
- Designed to be a flexible platform
- The site is simple to use.
- There are numerous avatars to choose from.
- Allows children to customize their program.
- Encourages interaction with other users
- It only works with Apple mobile devices.
- Beginners may feel small by open-ended options.
- Programs will not run outside of the app.
- There aren’t enough tutorials.
Hopscotch is available to all users for free. However, many in-app purchases are available to make programming even more enjoyable for children.
#8. DragonBox Math
Mathematics is a complex subject to learn as well as teach. Learning with DragonBox is now a lot of fun because it teaches kids through games and exciting activities. Since there are no quizzes or assessments, they are unaware they are being taught. They continue to enjoy their screen time while their minds grasp mathematical skills. The concepts remain with them for the rest of their lives.
- This innovative math app for kids uses eye-catching graphics and motivating techniques. They keep children engaged throughout the lesson.
- They give learners simple instructions on each level to help them understand the game.
- They can delve deeper into the fundamental and advanced concepts as much as they want.
- For children aged four to nine years
- Five apps for geometric and algebraic learning
- Awarded teaching platform
- Every step has simple instructions.
- Levelled and age-appropriate instruction
- Allows for experimentation and creativity
- Attractive graphics for an engaging experience
- More challenging levels might frustrate some kids.
- Some levels may be hard to solve without hints
DragonBox has four paid plans available:
- The basic version is open to everyone for free.
- The home version costs $5 per month or $60 per year.
- Discount of 33.33 per cent on $7.5 per month and $90 per year for the family version
- Premier Version: $15/month or $180/year
Related: 15 Best Writing Apps for iPad in 2024
Class Dojo is a unique online classroom teaching app. It is one of the best learning apps for kids that promotes positive student behaviour and classroom culture.
It ensures a safe learning environment for children through COPPA and FERPA verification. It works on almost all devices, including computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.
- It provides educators with many innovative resources through video lectures and tutorials.
- Each instructor can tailor class values to the needs of their specific classroom.
- Teachers award dojo points to students based on their performance. This encourages them to work harder and receive more recognition.
- Class Dojo is uniquely designed to facilitate communication and notification.
- In the event of academic problems, students can contact their instructors.
- Parents can receive timely feedback on their child’s progress and interact with teachers.
- Encourages a positive student culture.
- COPPA and FERPA verification
- Encourages parents and teachers to communicate with one another.
- Allows for the tracking of children’s progress.
- Teachers can set their class values.
- Provides performance evaluation in the form of points
- Most Android and Apple devices are compatible.
- Not suitable for older students
- Communication has a limit to parent-teacher interactions.
- No in-app search exists, and the coordination/organization tools are limited.
- ClassDojo is a free teaching program for teachers, administrators, and parents.
#10. Khan Academy Kids
A comprehensive educational app for children of all ages. Khan Academy Kids offers all resources for free and successfully provides in-depth study material. It’s one of the best free educational apps available. Students can study independently with Khan Academy Kids’ practice problems. They can also use instructional videos and a personalized learning dashboard.
- It has a library of thousands of educational videos on hundreds of topics. It also has extra resources, such as practice questions.
- Khan Academy Kids offers a wide range of subjects at various levels, including math, science, arts, and humanities, as well as AP courses.
- Test preparation materials for the SAT, GMAT and IELTS are also included.
- Thousands of videos and explanations for various courses are available.
- It uses high-quality images, videos, and other illustrations to make learning easier.
- Many courses are free, ranging from core subjects like math, science, economics, and history to various languages.
- Over 50,000 practice questions with step-by-step instructions and instant feedback.
- You can download all the study material, from videos to topics. You can easily access it at any time and from any location.
- It keeps track of student work and allows you to resume where you left off.
- Simple to set up and use.
- It is less interactive than having a teacher or tutor in person. You get immediate feedback when you work with a physical teacher or a tutor.
- You are only exposed to one type of teaching.
- The collaborative aspect of education gets lost.
- It diminishes spontaneous creativity.
Khan Academy is free to all users and does not require creating an account.
See Also: 15 Best Apps to Watch Anime For Free | 2024
Frequently Asked Questions
Using educational apps helps children become more comfortable with technology. Many skills are required to use apps to perform daily tasks and certain job functions.
Kids learning apps assist students in analyzing what you taught and the source of it. This piques their interest in learning more but in a systematic manner in which they know how. This overall process assists students in learning practically rather than theoretically.
It is a technologically-based study tool that allows for the sharing of information. Kids’ learning apps are an excellent learning tool for students without access to a physical classroom.
Go to the Kids App Builder page and click the “Get Started” button. Enter the name of your Kid’s app and its purpose. Choose the category that best fits your requirements. Pick a colour scheme that matches your design and brand theme. Choose between Android and iOS.
Yes. The kids learning apps, over time, reinforce the knowledge and make it stick.
With today’s fast-paced technology, it is simple for children to adapt to technological innovations. We’ve seen toddlers and adolescents with a penchant for iPads and smartphones. It’s easy to see why parents care about too much screen time at this age.
Knowing you can put that screen time into good use must be relieving…don’t you think so? These best learning apps for kids above will be of great help. Kids learning provides a personalized learning plan. They may also assist parents in overcoming their children’s strengths and weaknesses.
See also: 10 most expensive apps in the World | 2024
#Learning #Apps #Kids #Learning #Apps