Are you looking for free learning apps for kids? We’ve come up with some excellent ideas! You can use technology to help your children learn new things in a fun, engaging, and highly effective way with today’s finest educational apps for kids.
It’s not always easy to keep kids entertained, especially when school is out. Today’s children spend a significant portion of their days on tablets, phones, and other electronic devices, making it challenging to locate apps that give kid-friendly, developmental information in bite-sized chunks.
Using screen time to supplement their education may be both beneficial and pleasant, especially now that many educational apps include games to help students learn more effectively.
We’ve gone through dozens of educational apps for kids to find the best ones. Whether your child is in pre-school or high school, these are the finest of the best for engaging, amusing, and informative content to help support and aid gaps while keeping them entertained.
Continue reading to learn about the best free learning apps for kids. They’re addicting, entertaining, and completely free to download.
Why Are Free Learning Apps For Kids Important?
Is free learning apps for kids that important? Why should you put your faith in an app?
Here is why:
- Physical classrooms are less engaging than free learning apps for kids. Getting up, getting dressed, and driving to school can be exhausting for kids. It’s now difficult for children to use instructional apps from the comfort of their own beds. Geography or politics does not limit learning. They can learn any language or material that isn’t available in traditional classrooms.
- Students, unlike teachers, have access to applications 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students can use them to learn late at night or early in the morning, depending on their schedule.
- Free learning apps for kids are environmentally beneficial since they reduce the amount of paper used to print books as well as the amount of learning material used to write.
- They regularly updatedsnew research and errors in free learning apps for kids. While humans can occasionally miscommunicate or teach incorrect knowledge, programs always have the most up-to-date and correct information.
- Unlike instructors, who may communicate differently with various students, an application allows for systematic learning.
- More than books, free learning apps for kids are very engaging and interactive, which makes them more efficient and provide a better learning experience.
Related: Best Way To Learn A New Language Fast And Be Good At It
Limits of using free learning apps for kids in education
Here are some of the most significant drawbacks of utilizing educational apps for children:
Technology is beneficial, but it can also be distracting. Today’s students are resourceful enough to uncover loopholes in school systems that allow them to surf the web or play video games instead of learning.
Students wind up being online when they should be learning due to the internet becoming a large temptation and school IT infrastructure being substandard in many places.
You Should Check Out: 10 Best Learning Apps for Kids in 2024 Best Learning Apps
Little children’s emotional development is just as crucial as their academic performance. A non-human device will not be able to establish self-control or order in a classroom, and pupils will learn a topic but not how to get along with one another.
Overstimulation due to excessive screen time
Excessive screen usage can induce overstimulation, which can alter sleep patterns and lead to emotional dysregulation.
To handle stress and mood swings in youngsters, screen usage must be limited. Increased stress and mood swings in young children are frequently considered as symptoms of too much screen use.
The use of educational technology in classrooms will increase the amount of screen time youngsters spend each day.
Decreased social interaction
The majority of educational apps for kids are built for solitary use rather than group activities. Pupils become immersed in themselves and do not interact with other students in the class or at school as a result of this.
This causes developmental delays in social abilities such as talking and interacting with others, as well as the emergence of introverts in young children.
Reduced emphasis on traditional teaching and learning skills
Students have lost information search and analysis skills that help us identify the proper material and interpret what we need from it as a result of their near-total reliance on googling for solutions.
What was once deduced from a teacher’s impromptu speech is now the province of up-to-date information offered through apps and programs.
Furthermore, automatically corrected typos, punctuation, and other errors lead to a decreased reliance on understanding and problem-solving skills.
Check Also: Free Language Learning Apps in 2024 | Best Learning Apps
How Much Do Educational Apps for Kids Cost?
Although some educational apps for kids are free to download, they usually have restricted functionality. To use all of the app’s capabilities, you’ll probably have to pay a charge.
The cost of a one-time download of an educational app for children often ranges from $1 to $4.
Other apps need a monthly or yearly subscription charge, which can run anywhere from $5 to $20 per month.
An extensive curriculum, diagnostic tools, progress reports, and individualized recommendations are common aspects of these apps.
See Also: What Is Synchronous And Asynchronous Learning In Online Education? Facts
10 Free Learning Apps for Kids
1. Best For Phonics Learning: Starfall
Starfall, which is a digital learning app for kids that teaches letters, words, and sounds to youngsters in an animated language, is ranked first on our list of free learning apps for kids.
With access to a variety of important information, the free edition of this software is truly remarkable!
The subscription version, on the other hand, includes premium access to arts curriculum that aids in the mastery of arithmetic and social science skills.
Starfall knows how to make the most of your children’s screen time, from allowing for excellent memorization to having fun while learning.
This app employs a fantasy-based approach to learning to pique children’s interest in learning more. Through games, stories, songs, and other entertaining activities, children form bonds with the Starfall characters in their virtual classroom. As you advance to the next level, all of these activities are built on the same premise and bring a new challenge and thrill. Parents can keep track of their children’s progress at the same time.
Phonemic identification, systematic phonics, words, communication, and comprehension are all emphasized in Starfall’s teaching style. It’s a fantastic approach to homeschool kids while still allowing them to learn independently.
The website’s engaging design and brilliant colors keep youngsters engaged throughout the sessions and help them learn how to navigate the site.
Key Features & Benefits
- Designed for youngsters aged 2 to 5 years.
- Interactive learning program is available.
- It aids in the acquisition of language skills.
- Filtering content is simple.
- Ideal for usage at home and in the school
- Android and iOS devices are compatible.
Users can utilize Starfall with no cost. Premium features can be accessed by upgrading to a one-year membership for $35.
You Should Check Out: 15 Best Free Font Apps For iPhone | 2024
2. Best For Language Learning: Duolingo
Are you thinking about teaching your child a new language? Well, it may appear to be a difficult endeavor at first, but the introduction of online free learning apps for kids like Duolingo has made it easier.
One of the most popular language learning apps for kids is Duolingo. It’s ideal for children who are just learning to talk or who may have a language barrier. The app’s seamless learning technique will help all preschoolers and school-aged youngsters.
More than 34 languages are available on Duolingo! For the time being, we’re only counting the ones that utilize English as their primary language. Other basic languages, as well as their subsequent language courses, are many. Overall, it resembles a massive library!
Duolingo’s well-targeted and planned lesson plans are the finest part. They divide each course into modules, each of which has lessons for each level. They will unlock once the other module you have completed a specified amount of modules.
To begin, children will be required to take a placement test to determine their current level of comprehension. Following that, the app will create courses according to the user’s abilities. Furthermore, while they present the lessons in chronological sequence, students are free to revisit and revise any topic at any time.
Key Features & Benefits
- It takes three to four minutes to complete each lesson.
- Listen to and learn from native speakers in 20-minute podcasts.
- Enhances reading, writing, and speaking abilities
- Regular practice exercises are available as an option.
- The ability to keep tabs on daily progress
- Interface that is simple and straightforward to use.
Duolingo is free to use for everyone, however it does have a subscription plan if you want more advanced capabilities.
Duolingo Plus: $12.99 per month
See Also: 20 Profitable Benefits of Learning A Second Language
3. Great For Learning Coding: Hopscotch
We all know how difficult programming is to learn, right? And for programming for children, it is unquestionably a difficult challenge!
Hopscotch, on the other hand, has a fantastic user-friendly interface that makes coding a lot easier to learn for kids than is commonly supposed. It is one of the most impressive free coding learning applications for kids.
The software is centered on open-ended learning to help children develop their logical thinking skills. They have entire autonomy to experiment with and personalizing their software, as well as developing their own projects.
Animation and gaming are excellent ways to keep kids interested in what they’re studying. Another appealing feature of this software is the large number of avatars available.
What’s more, do you know what’s more? Sharing their programs allows kids to interact with their peers and the entire Hopscotch community.
Key Features & Benefits
- For novices, this is an excellent programming app.
- Designed specifically for children aged 10 to 16.
- It encourages us to think critically.
- It’s intended to be a flexible platform.
- The website is simple to use.
- There are many different avatars to pick from.
- Allows children to customize their own program.
- Encourages users to interact with one another.
- Only Apple mobile devices are compatible.
All users have free access to Hopscotch. In-app purchases can make programming even more enjoyable for kids.
Related Article: 10 Best French Learning Apps in 2024 | Best Learning Apps
4. Best For Learning Mathematical Skills: DragonBox Math
Math is a challenging topic to learn as well as to teach. It is now completely fun to learn thanks to one of the finest free learning apps for kids, which teaches youngsters through games and interesting activities.
They are not aware that they are being taught because there are no tests or assessments. They just continue to enjoy their screen time while their minds learn mathematical skills and retain the knowledge for the rest of their lives.
This cutting-edge math software for kids features the most appealing graphics and stimulating tactics to keep youngsters engaged throughout the course.
On each level, they give learners a few easy instructions to help them comprehend the game. They are free to go further into the fundamental and sophisticated themes and study as much as they desire.
Key Features & Benefits
- Suitable for youngsters aged four to nine years.
- There are five apps for studying geometric and algebraic concepts.
- A platform for teaching that has won awards.
- Every step has easy-to-follow instructions.
- Learning is divided into two categories: level-based and age-based.
- Allows for exploration and inventiveness.
- The graphics are captivating, making for a fun experience.
DragonBox has four paid plans to choose from:
- Basic Version: Free for all
- Home version: $5 per month and $60 per year
- Family version 33.33% discount on $7.5 per month and $90 per year
- Premier Version: $15 per month and $180 per year
5. Best For Behavior Management: ClassDojo
Class Dojo, at number five on our list of free learning apps for kids, is an online classroom teaching program that promotes positive student conduct and classroom culture like no other.
It ensures a safe learning environment for children through COPPA and FERPA verification. Meanwhile, it works on practically all devices, including PCs, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
It provides educators with a wealth of unique tools in the form of video lectures and tutorials. Each instructor can tailor class values to a specific classroom’s needs. Teachers assign dojo points to pupils based on their performance, which motivates them to work harder and earn more praise.
Class Dojo is a one-of-a-kind platform that makes communicating and receiving notifications a breeze. In the event of an academic concern, students can contact their instructors. Parents can receive timely feedback on their child’s growth and speak with teachers about their child’s behavioral development.
Key Features & Benefits
- Encourages a positive student environment.
- COPPA and FERPA have been verified.
- Encourages parents and teachers to communicate with one another.
- Allows parents to keep track of their children’s progress.
- Teachers can set their own class values.
- Provides a point-based system for evaluating performance.
- Most Android and Apple smartphones are compatible.
ClassDojo is a completely free teaching program for students, teachers, and parents.
Read Also: 10 Best French Language Schools In France | 2024
6. Best For Personalized Learning: Khan Academy Kids
A comprehensive educational app for kids of different ages. Khan Academy Kids offers all resources for free and successfully offers in-depth study materials to everyone.
It’s one of the best free educational applications for kids available.
Students can study at their own pace with Khan Academy Kids, which offers practice questions, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard. It contains a library of tens of thousands of educational films covering a wide range of topics and extra tools such as practice questions.
Khan Academy Kids offers a wide range of subjects at various levels, including math, physics, the arts, and humanities, as well as AP courses. The study materials for tests like the SAT, GMAT, and IELTS are also included.
Key Features & Benefits
- Thousands of videos and explanations for various courses are available.
- They make the learning experience easier and more entertaining by the use of high-quality photographs, videos, and other illustrations.
- Many courses, from essential subjects like math, physics, economics, and history to foreign languages, are free.
- Over 50,000 practice questions with step-by-step instructions and fast feedback are available.
- All of the study materials, from videos to complete themes, may be downloaded and accessed at any time and from any location.
- Keeps track of student assignments and allows you to resume where you left off.
It’s simple to set up and utilize.
Khan Academy is free for all and does not need the creation of an account as well.
Related Article: 10 Free Online Language Courses with Certificates in 2024
7. Best For Elementary School Kids: Prodigy
Prodigy helps students learn math while having fun by delivering interactive games that correspond to the school’s curriculum.
Because it’s built up like a video game, it’s one of the most popular free learning apps for kids on the market.
It’s a fantasy-based web and app game for grades one through eight students that incorporates math fundamentals.
Prodigy is intended to evaluate children’s knowledge rather than to introduce them to new math concepts. Children acquire spells by properly answering questions and engage in monster encounters as they travel through various fantasy worlds.
Although the basic app is free, a premium subscription unlocks additional capabilities. The premium charge is $8.95 per month, but you can save money by purchasing an annual subscription. Despite the fact that kids adore Prodigy, one disadvantage for parents is that there appears to be a lot of pressure within the game to buy in-app purchases.
- Features math curriculum standards for grades 1–8
- Play online or via app
- Can be used for practice or initial learning
- Ads encourage membership and in-app purchases
- Fantasy theme might not be for everyone
Price: Free for basic; premium memberships cost $10 to $15 per month and $75 to $100 per year
- Ages/Grades: Grades 1–8
- Apple/Android: Both
See Also: 15 Hardest Languages To Learn For English Speakers
8. Quick Math
Math can be tedious for children, but this software turns numbers into something more artistic and interesting.
Quick Arithmetic Jr. is a children’s software that includes 12 distinct math games that teach basic math skills and concepts.
To keep youngsters engaged, it features distinctive images and buildable characters, and all answers are scribbled or sketched on the screen, allowing them to learn handwriting.
- Ages: 4-8
- Cost: Free
- Get it for: iOS
9. Swift Playgrounds
Apple designed Swift Playgrounds for older kids (and adults!) to introduce people to the coding language used by app developers all over the world.
Through puzzles, tailored lectures, and dynamic images, you may master the fundamentals of coding language in this app.
The app is visually stunning and entertaining to use, but it works better on iPads.
Get it for: iOS
10. Brainpop JR.
For the past 20 years, Brainpop has been providing in-depth, yet simple-to-understand instructional videos to children all over the world on topics ranging from Mozart to food allergies.
The Brainpop Jr. Movie of the Week app provides access to these videos as well as brief quizzes on them for younger children.
The whole collection of movies requires a subscription, but the free version still includes the movie of the week and several free videos on internet safety, bullying, and other topics. A version for older children is also available from Brainpop!
- Ages: 6-9
- Cost: Free, optional subscription is $6.99/month
- Get it for: iOS, Android, or on the Amazon App Store
Related: Best Languages To Learn For Success In Your Study Abroad School
Traditional learning approaches, without a doubt, engender monotony. Monotonous learning patterns hamper children’s creativity and critical thinking. It’s the other way around with the finest free learning apps for kids!
The best way to boost your child’s confidence and enhance their learning habits is to use novel learning approaches that include an element of fun and engagement.
#Free #Learning #Apps #Kids #Learning #Apps